Sunday, January 23, 2011

Story: Paris - any differences ? - Part 1

This story was told by a Vietnamese girl studying abroad in France ... It's not only about a  true happening in Paris, but also show readers what the different thinking between the Asians and the Europeans about traveling. Moreover, throughout the story, it will guide you to famous places in Paris, and at the end of the story, you can easily find some tips that may apply if you choose Paris as the stop of your traveling
..........................................................................................................
The first morning in Paris, I bought an international telephone card. Sitting inside a café lounge next to Notre Dame Cathedral, I ordered a cup of hot espresso and chose a contact to make call to Vietnam.

That is my ex-boyfriend in high school, who had shared a poetic dream of walking along the Seine at least one time in our life ...

The first question he asked me (as I expected): "Paris - any differences ?" and I decided not to answer immediately but waiting for the time I left Paris.

Turned off the phone, I waited for Pierre Phu Quoc - my aunt's son - who is an insurance sale-person at a commercial district La Defense, where the salary rate is listed as one of the highest in France. He would pick me up and take me to some popular places of this brilliant light capital city.

PARIS KISSES

This morning, before I went out earlier to my work, Pierre had told me that - in pure French, they don't know any Vietnamese and Vietnamese culture! "Just drink your coffee and be patient waiting for me. I go to the company to arrange my work for a bit and then I will come to you right after. Don't wandering alone in Paris, they will think you're crazy. And if you see any couple kissing on the streets, don't stare at them - or - take photos of them, they will think you are an ET" (ET is kind of UFO or alien)..



(My note: in Vietnamese culture, kissing on the street is something not relevant to the culture. It is believed that Vietnamese culture respects to the private and they think that it's better to show the love somewhere private but not in the public. It shows the respect of society)

Pierre came, smilling - "I will guide you throughout Paris' stomach by Metro - it is convenient, safe, and non-worried about parking places". He took me to the most famous places in Paris such as Eiffel Tower, Louvre Museum, Invalide, Concorde Square (Place de la Concorde), Luxembourg, etc.

Under the Eiffel Tower's foot, people were lying on the grass sunbathing. Most of them were couples. Especially, brides and grooms really liked to come here to take photos. It was said that Eiffel  was just for taking photos, filming and for viewing from a distance. Looking at Eiffel Tower in a short distance (under its foot), it was died in industrial color with tons of iron pieces - not appeal, passionate, and admirable like sculpture architect of Notre Dame or Opera Paris.




At Luxembour garden, there were also many couples everywhere - under the sun, near the pool, or at the benches under the beautiful green trees.

While I and Pierre was walking around the garden and talking about Paris, there was an Italian couple came and asked us for taking a photo for them. After that, they politely offered us back "Do you two want us to take a romantic photo of you?". Pierre smiled and thanked them, then he teased me "It is so disadvantage when going with me, right ?!"



The last stop of my young handsome volunteer guide Pierre was Champs Elyseé.

Oh dear - "Champs Elyseé" - I uttered when Pierre decided to take me to the most well-known avenues in the world. He said "I knew that you would be totally happy and jump for joy!". The starting if this avenue is Arc de Triomphe. The gate lied at the heart of Paris, and was also the place where welcomed the victorious army. I took the advantage of its beauty to take some photos as memory before Pierre warned me about the crowd of touring was coming and cover that scene.



From this place, strolling unhurriedly along the boulevard of charming and lively Champs Elyseé, you might come across many first-class luxurious stores in the world like Catier, Louis Vuitton, Mango, Citroen (car/automobile), etc.

Along the boulevard, there are many cafe lounges on the pavement, the special style of drinking coffee in Europe. All things in Champs Elysee are very expensive (of course!). However, it couldn't compare with La Fayette - the most expensive supermarket and shopping mall in the world!


(To be continued...)

>>> Story: Paris, any differences ? - Part 2





0 comments:

Post a Comment